Saturday, August 2, 2008

World's largest open pit copper mine



Kennecot copper mine is just 5 short miles to the west of our house. Sophie and Jack have developed a fascination with it this summer. From our front porch, you can see the edge of the mine. It looks like a mountain with the top cup off. When you look at it from the top you see a hole straight down over 1 mile into the earth! The mine has been active for over 100 years in Utah and is the world's largest supplier of copper. The mine is also one of the few man made objects that can be seen from space (the pyramids, the great wall of China and Kennicot Copper mine).

5 comments:

The Tally Clan said...

Ok I guess that I need to get busy and update my blog. All of the pictures are great. Keep up the good work and I will try to keep up with you.

Brooke & Gabe Anderson said...

Did the kids obsession with the copper mine start with grammy and grampy? I heard dad stole some copper and let the kids break it up. It's always more fun when you break the rules.

Lizz said...

...don't forget the truman theater (I have got to watch less movies!)

Brian and Wendy said...

Yes breaking rules is fun Brooke. Regarding the truman theatre (i've never heard of it and it's visible from space?)

Anonymous said...

The company that I work for is the constructor of this mine. I'm sure you're all really excited about that...just thought I would share.